I can’t tell you how much I love this business concept! I’m not 110% convinced about the capability to make significant amounts of investor revenues but frankly…that’s just not the point of this neat new business. So, let me tell you about “It’s Your Movie”. The basic idea is for the online community to fund, audition and vote for characters in a movie called “The Flirting Club”. It’s a complete mashup of a number of popular ideas…think “The Producers meets American Idol” and you are some of the way there!
- Members of the public can buy a ’stake’ in the movie of $10, $100, $100. What’s not clear on the site is what stakeholders get for their stake although the site does say the higher the stake the more ’say’ in the movie.
- Advertising is another revenue stream for “Its Our Movie” although as the site currently has a 4,000,000 Alexa ranking the revenue is likely to minimal at this point.
- Movie Rights and Sale: I could find no reference to movie rights or sale as it relates to stakeholders but it is a new business so that may appear in their FAQs.
Some Core Functionality/Elements:
- Auditioning: To audition for a part, members download the script, choose a character and video themselves. After uploading the Audition to http://www.youtube.com / http://www.metacafe.com / http://www.dailymotion.com the code is then re-pasted within the “Its Our Movie” Website so the community can review and vote on the auditions
- Characters: A summary of each character is included in the site and video auditions can be added against each character
- Voting: Members can vote on a 1-10 scale for each audition. They will also be adding the ability for people to vote via text message/SMS
- Photos/Videos: Photos and videos of each person auditioning
- Member blogs
- Member forums (Is this a Drupal site with a skin? Hummm)
Sometimes new business are not about money…OK, rarely new businesses are not about money because money is oxygen for startups but in this case, its about the excitement of being involved in creating a movie. Doesn’t EVERYONE want to be involved in creating a movie? Even if it’s a bad movie for goodness sake. Now here’s a little prediction, as momentum grows for this new site then it won’t be long before Simon Cowell and the rest get wind of it. Before you can say “Teletubbies” I’m guessing that this process may move from the web to other mediums. When that happens then this could become a significant opportunity for the founders. If I was a stakeholder, I’d be looking for some reassurances that I’m buying a tiny piece of that potential success.
- Be explicit about what stakeholders are getting! It’s great that you’ve raised $100K but if you want to hit the $1M target then I would outline what those folks were getting…really clearly!
- My understanding is that the Director is Alex Jovy. Is it THE Alex Jovy that received an Oscar-nomination for his film Holiday Romance who also went on to produce and direct the thriller Sorted starring Matthew Rhys and Jason Donovan? If so, let us know people! At the moment it looks like some obscure guys idea that is absolutely exciting but we need to know it’s legitimate and this isn’t paying for someone’s extended vacation in the South of Spain.
- Plug this into the TV machine and turn it into a show.
My Virtual Investment:
With my virtual $1M, I would personally stake a virtual $500K providing someone gave me virtual percentages of the revenue.
Interested in other articles about Its Our Movie?
Andrew – Founder